Go beyond basic leadership principles and discover innovative ideas to shape the future of your community from the inside out.
PROGRAM REDESIGNED FOR 2020
Community leaders have never faced a more challenging environment. The economy, public policy and societal dynamics are all moving targets. But there’s incredible opportunity when you know how to harness the innovations that come with that change. Find the encouragement and inspiration you need to succeed at Eller Executive Education’s Southwest Leadership Program.
The Leadership Program that Shaped Our Region
As the region’s longest-running leadership program, Eller Executive Education’s Southwest Leadership Program has united local, state and national leaders which inspire personal and professional growth for more than 25 years. Our expert instructors include professors from the Eller College of Management as well as professional experts from the private sector who have worked in the public sector for years. Together they leverage their expertise to deliver a dynamic and highly relevant curriculum. The program has been redesigned in 2020 in response to the unique challenges faced by public sector leaders due to the pandemic. Faculty will provide live and interactive content in an accessible and safe online platform.
Live and Interactive
Advanced Leadership Competencies
- Boost your effectiveness as a public sector leader.
- Effectively build your organization through understanding personality dynamics.
- Gain insight into self and how to inspire and motivate others.
- Improve negotiation skills.
NEW for 2020: Immersive, Interactive Live Online Experience
Who Should Attend?
If you’re a public servant executive or manager working in the Southwest, this program is for you. For more than 25 years, we’ve educated hundreds of elected officials, senior managers of local, state and tribal governments, municipal senior executives, leaders of public educational systems and nonprofit organization leaders. Our program provides insight into the issues facing public sector, law enforcement, emergency response and healthcare executives.
What You’ll Learn
Our expert instructors include professors from the Eller College of Management as well as professional experts from the private sector who have worked in the public sector for years. Together they leverage their expertise to deliver a dynamic and highly relevant curriculum. The program has been redesigned for 2020 to respect your concerns related to COVID-19. Registration to open soon.
Sessions and Learning Objectives
NEW TOPICS FOR 2020
Leading Through Turbulent Times
- Learn what characterizes a high turbulence environment
- Discover how to lead change in the face of uncertainty
- Explore capabilities needed to success in turbulent times
Leading Virtual Teams
- Understand the role of communication on virtual team effectiveness
- Develop ways to motivate team members without face-to-face interaction
- Manage and maintain relationships within the virtual context
- Learn how to get more of what you want from others
- Avoid the most common conflicts encountered in day-to-day life
- Establish win-win situations for your employees and employer
Negotiating for Government Leaders
- Effectively separate problems from people
- Learn to focus on positions, not interests
- Create mutual gain in negotiations in the public sector
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Define Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
- Learn about the impact of unconscious bias in the workplace
- Understand accountability through performance management
Learn from industry experts and take your leadership skills to the next level.
The Southwest Leadership Program has helped to develop the next tier of leaders in our organization as we implement new processes and technology in a rapidly changing environment.
Michael Ortega, Manager, City of Tucson
Request Additional Information
Sign up for notifications about upcoming sessions for the Eller Executive Education's Southwest Leadership Program, or request additional program information by completing the form below:
Collaborate with Us: Corporate Partner Program and Customization
Corporate partners receive discounts for each participant and an optional tailored capstone project designed to address your current challenges, plus post-program implementation coaching for sending groups of four or more. We can also hold a program at your site or design a leadership program that specifically meets your organization’s needs.